I have played lutes of all kinds since 1966, (and guitar for 9 years prior) and I must say I have NEVER heard of such practices! The only thing remotely connected that comes to my mind is something Besard wrote (English translation in the "Varietie...") about some students "anointing their fingers with Oyle of Tartar..." but for increasing joint flexibility, nothing to do with touch. Nigel North had been in the habit of stalking his students with a fine emery board, grabbing their right hands smoothing out coarse fingertips. He jumped me in this fashion once about 15 years ago at a SFEMS or LSA seminar.

'some do nothing and play with dry fingers.'    -That's my group!
-Dan