Uwe> - when using a prettyref inset \usepackage{prettyref} is set to
Uwe> the preamble. What when the user needs to load this package with
Uwe> an option?

A worse problem is that prettyref is not in teTeX 2 (at least) because
of unknown license:
http://www.mail-archive.com/tetex@dbs.uni-hannover.de/msg00342.html

So your EmbeddedObjects help file cannot be typeset. This is a blocker
for 1.4.4. As a temporary measure, shall we remove reference to
prettyref in the 1.4 version of the manual at least?

All in all, supporting prettyref in LyX was probably a bad idea, but I
do not know how to go out from this trap.

Another question Uwe: why is this discussion on references hidden in
the Float chapter? There are many entities besides floats the deserve
a reference.