Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> John> With the stuff that LyX is already providing for building
> John> documents from all those different source file formats, I wonder
> John> where the limit is -- how much of a full-blow build system to
> John> you develop as part of LyX before you stop and just reuse
> John> something else that handles the whole thing? Or are there
> John> problems with that?
>
> As often, 90% would be trivial, and the rest would be an horrible pain :)

I don't think that LyX has any need of a build system. The dependencies are
trivial: the LyX document needs all its preconditions to be built (images
translated to some format) before it can be built itself. These image
transformations do not depend on one another, so no complex tracking is needed.

As Jean-Marc says, some scripts are generated dynamically (there's a script
per image translation) by chaining together the meta-translation information
in the "converters" concept. If you run LyX as "lyx -dbg graphics" from the
command line you should (used to ;-)) get a dump to the console of exactly
what these scripts contain.

Other scripts exist already and are simply leveraged by the LyX C++ code. Have
a look in the lib/scripts subdirectory.

Kind regards (and thanks for the reality check ;-)),
Angus