Am 28.06.2012 11:04, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:

If such users need to choose
(or actually choose) something other than 'Install packages on the
fly', LyX is effectively broken for them.

I don't get this sentence.

I guess he means that then they don't have all packages needed by LyX. Sooner or later they will use a feature that require a certain packages that is not installed in their system. Because of the about 50 pop-ups from MiKTeX many users where I could have a look how they act when installing LyX clicked at some point "No" to not to be bothered.

Personally I still find the Windows installation of LyX confusing and
complicated, with UI freezes and lots of waiting time. Each time I
have to do it for a friend, it's pretty much an ordeal.

And that's why I just want an option to surpass this installation of exotic
packages that I will
never use, but which takes me a 'coffee-break' to install.

How will you do that? Form where do you know what the user will need or not. Take for example a researcher who needs to write a scientific paper for a journal published by the IOP. He will then need very special packages and document classes. The aim of an installer is that every user gets a full functional LyX, no matter for what purpose he will use if.

regards Uwe