http://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/vtc16spr.html
>> says they only accept .dvi, and graphics in .eps, and they want to make
>> the
>> pdf.  I'm shocked, this is ancient obsolete tech.
>>
>> So I tried to follow this route, and uploaded a dvi and all graphics
>> converted to eps, using pdftops -> pdf2epsi.  No doubt this will hurt the
>> quality.
>
> I would recommend to use LyX to do all these conversions. Exporting to DVI
> in LyX should produce the DVI file along with all needed .eps images. LyX
> does also know how to produce .eps images without quality loss (it uses
> pdftops with some flags, look at the "PDF (Graphics)" => EPS converter).
> Does viewing the DVI in LyX work?
>
>> But conversion fails, I receive an email just saying
>> The DVI source file you uploaded as a submission to the File Submission
>> site failed to produce a postscript file.
>>
>> If I try locally, I get:
>> dvipdf ascma-paper.dvi ascma-paper.junk.pdf
>> kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid fontname `"file:lmroman17-regular:script=latn;
>> +trep;+tlig;"', contains '"'
>> dvips: Font "file:lmroman17-regular:script=latn;+trep;+tlig;" not found;
>> using cmr10
>> dvips: Design size mismatch in font "file:lmroman17-regular:script=latn;
>> +trep;+tlig;"
>> dvips: ! invalid char 8211 from font "file:lmroman17-regular:script=latn;
>> +trep;+tlig;"
>>
>> Any ideas here?  I'm emailing them to see what can be done, but maybe you
>> guys have suggestions?
>
> Since they want to produce PS I would concentrate on the DVI => PS route,
> not DVI => PDF. You can narrow down the problem by previewing DVI or
> Postscript (or "PDF (dvipdfm)" if you want to stick to pdf). If this
> works, then something goes wrong with your conversion procedure. If it
> does not, then either the IEEE class needs some stuff you do not have
> installed, or something is wrong with your document.
>

> Georg

Thanks!  It does appear to work to export to DVI (LuaTeX) _after_ I uncheck
Document/settings/fonts use non-tex fonts.

Yes, good EPS were created.  Unfortunately, the names of the EPS files were
mangled, and I think those names don't match those in the DVI file, so I
needed to manually create a bunch of symlinks from the names used in the dvi
file to the mangled names, e.g.,

0_home_nbecker_scma-unframed_frame_format-cropped.eps -> frame_format-
cropped.eps

The whole process would've been automated nicely if not for this.