On Feb 19, 2008 4:07 PM, Abdelrazak Younes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> JOHN CULLETON wrote:
> > on recommending Lyx to TEX newbies. If someone can cite a version of
> > Lyx that runs without tears on the latest stable version of Slack
> > (12) then I may give it a try again.

1.3.7?

Being able to update lyx2lyx at the click of a button would be handy though.

> > There seems to be a virus infecting developers all over the net that
> > compels them to use the newest tools even though the newest tools are
> > not widely available.
>
> Please stop this non sense.
>
> > Qt 4 is the most notable of these attractive
> > nuisances. True, I can install a Kubuntu 4 partition and get KDE 4
> > which uses Qt4. But Koffice and a host of other things don't work
> > with KDE 4. Besides, I don't like Debian.
>
> Back in the days I was using Slackware, I used to compile everything. If
> you are not able to compile Qt and LyX, pay someone to do it for you and
> stop complaining about people developing those programs for *FREE*.

Better yet, write a program that lets people compile arbitrary
programs at the click of button. See ebuild, sinstall and gconfigure
for a starting point.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_prefixed_portage_(in_development)

> > John Culleton TeX since 1995.
>
> Just stay with TeX and stop annoying us.

He can't. He's been infected with a virus ;)

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student