The more I'm thinking back, I now remember an idea I had for the original ROM and legacy software. The idea was that the extended 8085 could have a "virtualization" mode where it would configure a given 64K bank of it's 16M region as "legacy". When it enters "legacy" mode, all opcodes and addressing behave like a normal 8085 within the configured 64K bank.

Then a context switch timer (not available for access while in "legacy" mode) would pull the processor out of legacy mode every so often to perform extended stuff. I don't think I had worked though all the details of that, but that was the basic idea anyway.

Ken