Setting aside the fact that we just spent a week proving that manuals
aren't bibles and can be full of crap, yes I am following the startup
procedure from the beginning of the dvi users manual.

0: Everything turned off. Everything connected. Drive door open. No disk in
drive. Monitor on.

1: M100 on.

2: DVI on.

3: Wait for dvi to say "Insert System Diskette"

4: Insert disk and close drive door.

...doesn't matter what comes next, because nothing else happens.

Also another manual fallacy: "Be sure the edge with the write protect notch
is the first to enter the drive."

Oh really? Well, I am not actually doing that, so, maybe that's why it's
not working? hehe