Welp, the dvi spins the motor on a 1.2m drive.

So I looked at the bad drive and found a small patch of corroded traces and
solder joints. The patch is under a couple small electrolytic caps that
don't look swelled or leaking, but there's nothing else to explain the
corroded spot.

I cleaned up the area and re-soldered some parts and replaced a couple of
traces with wire.

Now the drive spins, and the dvi recognizes that the door was closed, and
tries to read the disk.

But now it says Drive0 is not a system disk.

So I might have a bad boot disk, or this drive might still have some other
issues.

Oh well. Closer!