On 5/13/20 4:01 AM, Erik van der Tier wrote:
Hi,

I’ve just installed LaddieAlpha on my Mac. At first this didn’t work, as the
runtime that came with the package was too old for my Mac. However, a quick
trip to the Mono website fixed that issue. When installing the Mono environment
I almost fell of my chair. The install takes up over 1GB of disk space… 1GB!
And that to run a 320MB+ diskemulator! Now don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy
that I can now exchange files directly from the Mac (first I was using DosBox +
DeskLink). But still… 1.3GB of space just to emulate a diskdrive… Even the
entire VirtualT Mac version is only 4.4MB.
It truly boggles my mind! This is exactly what for me is the appeal of these
old machines like the M100… you could do quite a bit of work with so little
resources.
Now Mono is likely an extreme example the other extreme… I develop a
Knowledge/Database platform in Rust and the current release build takes only
3.7Mb of space (for a complete database platform and this doesn’t require any
other dependencies at all, except a base OS). So it is possible to still do a
lot with relatively little resource demands, but still it sometimes amazes me.
Anyway, this all makes it all the more fun to keep these old baddies working
and do some good old Assembler coding talking straight to the iron.

Cheers,
    Erik

This is why I usually use dlplus.
Also because I use the bootstrapper about as much as the tpdd server itself, and Laddie does not include a bootstrapper.
https://github.com/bkw777/dlplus

John maintained and added some work to that before writing Laddie so we can thank him for both. And dlplus doesn't support subdirectories yet while Laddie does. I think mComm does too.

Last year I picked it up and added(*) a bootstrapper and made it a fully flexible one where it actually can send anything you like not just a particular dos installer, and now comes pre-packaged with a few versions of TEENY and DSKMGR. In total it has included tpdd client installers for M100/102, T200, MC-10, KC-85, and NEC. The loaders already existed I just scrounged them up out of archives and collected them into one spot and made it easy to inject them. And both the loader.ba files and the installation instructions to go with them are external files, not baked into the executable itself.

(*) It already had a bootstrapper, but it didn't work as far as I could tell, and even if it had worked, I didn't agree with the design for how it was invoked. And no one seemed to be using it or care, so I removed it and did it the way I wanted. I think I will eventually put back something similar to the original method though, because that way would let me implement the same thing in Arduino, so you could have a mechanism that worked the same way from the M100 regardless if the server was dlplus on a pc or sd2tpdd on a Teensy.

And I haven't tried it myself yet but there is also a python tpdd server, with bootstrapper.
http://www.club100.org/memfiles/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=Kurt%20McCullum/mComm%20Python

There are even more options outside of general PC's & OS's
Android
http://www.club100.org/memfiles/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=Kurt%20McCullum/mComm%20Android

Arduino
https://github.com/bkw777/SD2TPDD
(really comes from Jimmy Petit https://github.com/TangentDelta/SD2TPDD but I've hacked on it somewhat to port it to a few different boards that have the sd card reader already built in, and the adafruit boards even have built-in lipo charger, and to add frills like power saving sleep calls, current subdirectory display in TS-DOS, disk activity light)