They didn't.  That tiny little battery pack with the external charging
jack was an "aftermarket" thing.  I think it was installed by a
company that did VAR resales of 8300s into industrial label printing
applications.

By the way the 5-cell NiMH solution works really nice.  Keeps the
voltage way up in the acceptable range throughout the discharge cycle.
I definitely recommend the solution Brian highlighted.