Jean-Pierre,

I think when I looked at the ROM, the sections that were different included
the TELCOM section, and I assume that it means the modem tone generation is
different.  That implies the RC filter networks on the modem
circuitry would also be different.
I can't say for sure but I believe the ROM functions are written to match
the analog capabilities of the modem itself.

but who uses the modem anyways!

..Steve