Thanks, i'll try all that.
I must admit I don't fully understand what the REX# does, as I've only use
it to make backups of the RAM, but it's features go way beyond that, so
it's unclear to me if - for example - the tsdos that comes with would be
"US minded".

>From what I understand, the original owner (which may even be in this list)
had to replace the belgian/european ROM with another ROM, most likely a US
one, to be able to use the REX# ( that's what I got from what he told me,
don't quote me on this )

All these changes could, maybe, break my modem.

However i've been looking at the schematics of the modem part and all of
this is as simple as can be, it's really purely analog in many areas, and
there is no way on earth any of this is software controller. I mean : the
thing doesn't care if the dial tone is 440, 600 Hz or anything (at least
looking at the hardware I see no way this would be measured, even less
handled by software)

So if I take for granted my M102 is a Belgian.european one (it' has the
sticker of the telco!), I guess the electronics where adapted to our
particular voltages.
What could be a possibility if that some of these are now out of spec

One final comment ; if I hit F4 (TERM) in TELCOM, the M102 starts to emit
an awful noise (like if it was connected to a data line !) it does that
even when the M102 is not connected to anything ( I mean, no wire connected
to it at all) It is also, afaics, completely crashed (i have to
reset/reboot)
Is that "normal" ?
That would point to a problem with ROM/REX...

thanks again for taking the time to help weirdo that wants his analog modem
to work :)