Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:07:38 -0700
From: B 9<hacke...@gmail.com>
To:m...@bitchin100.com
Subject: Re: [M100] M100 Linux keyboard via inputattach?

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 5:43 AM Hiraghm<hira...@hotmail.com>  wrote:

This is probably a dumb question, maybe even one that was asked/answered
long ago, but...

would it be possible to use a model 100/102/200 as a keyboard for a
Linux workstation via "inputattach"?

Yes, inputattach would work fine, but this seems like a peculiar request
and has me curious what you are doing. Is this to work with an emulator on
the Linux workstation?  Do you have a Model 100 with no screen? Are you so
used to the Model 100 keyboard layout that switching to this new-fangled
IBM keyboard layout doesn't seem worth it?

Actually, now that I think on it, that last point is not such a bad idea. I
have a DEC VT-340 serial terminal which uses the LK-201 keyboard that
inspired IBM's AT keyboard layout. I cannot stand the placement of the CTRL
key and it doesn't even have a proper Esc key. However, if I had a Model
100 I could plug it directly into the VT-340's keyboard port (which I
believe speaks 600 baud RS-232) and it'd make a dandy keyboard. And, a
Model 100 would fit better on my desk tha DEC's huge, honkin' keyboard with
all sorts of wacky "application editing" keys. Now, I just need to find a
Model 100/102 with a defunct screen!

?b9

1) I would like to use it as a keyboard with my PinePhone, which runs Mobian Linux.

2) I'd also like to still be able to telnet onto the phone from the keyboard and run some shell commands (mostly for fun)

3) I was thinking of maybe attaching a PI-Zero to it, then I remember that I have a 5" touchscreen I can use with it, too. So maybe I'd usually use the M100, shelling onto the pi for storage, internet access, or running shell programs (like w3m or wordgrinder), and when I needed to, attach the screen and use the keyboard for input.

4) I also planned on 3d printing a pi-zero attachment case, to support the pi connection, and so maybe also print a version with support for the 5" display.

5) I even had the thought to make the case distend below the M100 so as to act as a support (like the leg pegs), which might provide room for additional batteries, as well.