On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 2:59 AM Brian White <b.kenyo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe all the right chip does is help, and make more code more likely
> to make it through

Chip/driver wise the two things I've observed:

You can configure the FTDI driver buffering threshold on Windows all the
way down to 1 byte, which I think is what we want. This is really about
decreasing transmit latency on the Windows side in case of a sensitive
receiver on the Model T side... that is, TS-DOS.
The prolific drive has bugs under the Windows API, last I checked. There is
a facility under Win32 and the .Net Framework for reading a block of data
with a timeout. It works with the FTDI, it doesn't work with Prolific. I
believe it is a driver issue. I can work around it in software, and have,
but just generally spec it out of commercial projects because it is not
correct.

On Linux, I've never really noticed a difference between Prolific and FTDI.
But my experience is the same as yours, that software flow control does not
work with our laptop. Linux is too slow to react to a flow-off presumably
since it is in-band in the data and gets buffered, and overwhelms the tiny
64-byte, interrupt driven receive buffer on the Model T. And as Mike
mentions, USB, Wifi-Serial add create even more overhead and burstiness.

I could imagine some low level hardware scheme (specific
hardware+driver+configuration) overcoming the buffering of XON/XOFF
specifically, in the wired case... but this is the first I've heard of it.
And it really seems like it would have to be configured. Hardware isn't
normally involved in software flow control.

-- John.