A few weeks ago, I reached out to the list for help getting my trusty
“Trash-80” / M100 to display the logo of the company I work for (Zscaler). This
serves zero practical purpose whatsoever, but showing off our logo on my
menagerie of vintage computers is a fun way to “cross the streams” between my
hobby and my career, and my colleagues always get a kick out of it (it’s
popular on LinkedIn too!). Ken Pettit generously offered help with creating the
required files using his ASCIIpixels tools, and I’ve spent the last couple days
struggling to find a way to actually get the file Ken sent loaded onto my M100.

After finally realizing that a
no-longer-supported-under-64-bit-operating-systems Serial-to-USB adapter was
the root of my problems, I replaced it with a current-generation one and
PRESTO, I am now (probably?) the first person in human history to render the
Zscaler logo on a physical M100. Feels awesome! Here’s the pic for anyone who
wants to see how it turned out: https://i.imgur.com/wCKnHh4.jpg
<https://i.imgur.com/wCKnHh4.jpg>

Even better: the process of transferring the file Ken made onto my M100 taught
me a lot about this machine and the various disk emulation tools available for
modern computers. Thankfully my M100 has a REX installed, so I was able to fire
up TS-DOS easily (no bootstrapping required) and the “LaddieCon” TPDD emulator
is working nicely on my Windows box, so now I can have fun installing more apps
and games onto this M100.

Happy new year to you all - here’s hoping our trusty “AA”-powered laptops are
all still running strong in 2023 :-)

Huxley

—

Huxley Dunsany