On 1/12/23 14:37, Stephen Adolph wrote:
Thinking about a maintenance release on REX# to pick up a bunch of fixes and improvements.

One of the items is to make the interface to a TPDD client more reliable.

Did I get that right Brian? ;)

No, since these are servers. ;)
The code inside rxcini and rexmgr is client code.

What are the clients that are needed?

Real TPDD1, TPDD2
Nadsbox
LaddieAlpha
Backpack
DLPilot
Desklink on an old PC or DOSbox

What else?

Thanks
Steve

I would say, for the purpose of developing and vetting tpdd client code, the only reference is a real drive.

It's a pain to set up the test on a real drive, and a real drive would be wildly inconvenient way to set up a REX, and no normal user should actually do that, but, only a real drive is the definitive test of correct tpdd client operation.

By getting it to work on a real drive, you automatically get it to work on all emulators. If something sometime works on a real drive and not on some emulator, by definition the emulator is faulty, and the emulator should be fixed rather than you write something that relies on a buggy emulator. But by now all the emulators are tested so much that it's not a problem. Once it works on a real drive, it *will* work on all the usual emulators.

But I understand it's annoying to even set up the test for that. I'm not trying to tell you to do it, just explaining my thinking.