Hi,

1.  I no longer have the Mailboxes table visible as outlined in the Favourites
section of the original message.  I have moved my important mailboxes into the
Favourites bar and thus just need to press cmd-1, 2 or 3 depending on which one
I wish to access.  By pressing cmd-1, for example, this automatically accesses
my desired mailbox and brings focus to the Messages Column.  I then can use the
up and down arrows to preview each message/conversation.  Quick Nav is off for
this process.

2.  When I find a message/conversation that I'm interested in reading, I just
press the return key.  After some more playing around, I guess that the tab key
will more or less do the same thing.  I'm so used to holding down the VO keys
that I may have errored in my explanation.  When using the lef/right arrows in
this case, you either need to hold down the VO keys or turn Quick Nav on for
single key navigation.  In either case, it's quite easy and quick to move
through the conversations.  I can press the Backspace key to delete the message
I'm on and continue in the conversation or press cmd-w to close the entire
conversation.  I'm a throwback to the old MacOS's in the 80s and 90s and am
somewhat stuck in my old ways so tend to use the return and cmd-w mode more
often.

In further testing, I noted the following:

• if you press the return key to open the conversation, then you can use cmd-w
to close it and take you back to the Messages Column.
• if you use the tab key then you'll need to use shift-tab to take you back to
the Messages Column.  Using the cmd-w in this case will close the mail window
totally.  Pressing cmd with any of my numbers will bring it back though.  Just
a different way of doing things.

Hope this clears up your confusion.  Sorry to have caused you any.

Later…

On 2011-07-24, at 9:51 AM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

> Ahem, please pardon my ignorance here, i feel totally confused at the moment.
> I have the list with the various mailboxes, and then if i tab i get the table
> with the messages in them. They are arranged in conversations, but it looks
> like the old threads except that i've got numbers that indicates how many
> mails there are in a convo. If i right arrow on a conversation, i get to see
> the messages in the conversation, and if i either tab or vo+j i get to where
> the messages are shown. Vo up and down arrow here just reads the message. I'm
> a bit confused, i have to admit. Do i have the new layout?
> /Krister
> 24 jul 2011 kl. 16:07 skrev Chris Westbrook:
>
>> No, the preview pane just shows one individual message.  I think he might
>> have meant to say tab from the message list instead of enter.  If I tab from
>> the message list I get all the messages in a conversation and I just have to
>> either hit vo+up and down arrow if quick nab is off or just up and down
>> arrow if it is on.  Left and right will work too.  Hope this helps.
>> On Jul 24, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Ahem, this left and right arrow thingy doesn't  seem to work properly  for
>>> me in conversations. I'm using the preview pane, should i do that? Are your
>>> conversations always expanded?
>>> /Krister

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada