From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Ricardo Walker
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:43 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Making an mp3 with lion?

Hi,

Here's what you do.  BTW, the same option exists in Snow Leopard.  Go to system
prefs and select keyboard.  Now select the
keyboard shortcuts tab.  In the first table you encounter, choose services.
Now in the second table interact, then arrow
down to "add to iTunes as a spoken track" Make sure the checkbox for this is
checked.  In column 3 of this table is an edit
field.  If you interact with this, and preform a mouse click (providing you've
moved the mouse cursor to the spot) you can
input a keyboard shortcut for the action.  For example, you can press command
option A in the edit field and pressing that
would send the selected text to iTunes as an audio file.

Once you have at least the action enabled via the checkbox, it should show up
in the menu bar underneath the applications
menu.  Like Mail, iTunes, Safari, etc.  once in here arrow down to the services
sub menu.  Use VO down arrow to find the Add
to iTunes option.  I suggest using VO down arrow because, on occasion, I have
experienced just using the arrow keys will skip
over this option for some strange reason.

hth  .

Ricardo Walker
rwalker...@gmail.com
Twitter & Skype: rwalker296
www.mobileaccess.org

On Aug 23, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Missy Hoppe wrote:

> Hello, all. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding, or if I just dreamed
> this feature existed, but I thought I read somewhere that with lion,
> one could make an mp3 out of a document. I have a file which I'd love
> to have Alex read as an mp3, but can't figure out how to do it. I
> checked the context menu when the file was selected, but didn't see
> any relevant options. Do I need special software similar to text aloud
> to make this happen on my mac, or am I just not looking in the right place to
> find the feature? I understand that I can't
create a multi-voice file the same way I can using text aloud on my PC, but
just having Alex read something into mp3 format
would be more than adequate for now. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
me figure this out, and I hope that everyone is
having a great day!