This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Joaquim:

Ooops...late hours of the night...

2011/1/26 Paulo Afonso <pmjafo...@googlemail.com>

> Caro Joaquim Alves Gaspar:
>
> Viva :-)
>
> Many thanks for your comments relative to your interesting thesis and
> contents there related to the discussion on the measurement of a degree of
> longitude, and the dispute matters between Portugal and Spain.
>
> Well first of all it is obvious that the longitude degree-scale translated
> into leagues-length of curved surface was not the same, between Portugal and
> Spain - otherwise they would match nicely in what comes to accept where the
> Anti-Tordesilhas line would exactly pass by.
>
> This was not the case at all - Spain and Portugal claimed different
> measurements and thus had a very hard dispute to solve.
>
> As you say in your thesis - pages 41, 42 - the relevant matter is not
> exactly the measurement/definition of a league in itself, but how many
> leagues exist in a longitude degree. I believe these thesis pages are the
> most relevant ones for the discussion here. Your argument there assumes that
> the distance between Lisbon and the Molucas islands is known - then it
> follows a/your correct discussion for the Portuguese more leagues per degree
> being correct, vs. the smaller Spanish leagues per degree, that would sooner
> grasp too many degrees, placing such distance to the Molucas already in
> Spanish Territory, and the Anti-Tordesilhas line too close (say) to Malacca
> instead (too far West of the Molucas then...). This in the scenario where
> you measure from East to West, from Lisbon along Europe, Asia - to the other
> side of the world. In this scenario, the world would then have a bigger
> perimeter for the Portuguese - Earth being smaller for the Spanish. This was
> the orientation of my first email, stating so.

I meant obviously from West to East here...from Lisbon along Europe-Asia to
...far East Molucas...as I correctly follow up below in the text...

Bons ventos,

Paulo Afonso

Maphist mailing list
Maphist@geo.uu.nl