This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Dear all,

Just two short notes on the comments made by Paulo.

1. Yes, there are two distinct aspects to consider in the degree of latitude
issue: the political (or planetary, like Paulo says) and the navigational.
Paradoxically, they seem to be unrelated, as the pacific coexistance of the
different standards in the Iberian cartography throughout the sixteenth and
seventeenth centuries proves emphatically. On the other hand, I'm not aware of
any serious attempt to settle the question in scientific terms. On the
contrary, the experimental value of 20 Castillian leagues found by Antonio de
Nebrija ca. 1510 (which is quite close to the exact value) was apparently
ignored by cartographers and polititians of both sides. Of course, the distance
between Europe and the Moluccas was also an important element of information,
maybe the preponderant one. I'm not aware of the rationale behind the Saragossa
decison but probably it was based on this last element.

2. It is true that charts were manipulated by both Spain and Portugal during
the sixteenth century, most especially in the representation of South America.
But I see no signs of it either in the Cantino planisphere or in Pedro Reinel's
chart of ca. 1504. This applies to the depictions of Brazil (the stretch of the
coast visited by Cabral, where astronomical observations were made),
Newfoundland and Greenland (please see all details in the thesis). In this
case, I think that the evidence given by the sources (the charts) should always
prevail over our a-priori assumptions... As for the mathematical methods, they
are nothing more than powerful tools that help us unveiling the meaning of
those sources.

Joaquim Alves Gaspar

<<winmail.dat>>

Maphist mailing list