This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Dear Joaquim Alves Gaspar (& all):

Only after sending my last message I saw yours. But I completely agree with
what you are saying: the only two possible hypothesis in this case are: 1-
"Ptolemaic type world maps" 2 - "portolan-chart type world maps". The only
reason why I think more unlikely that it could have been a portolan-chart
mapamundo (at least a typical Portuguese portolan-chart mapamundo...) is
because of the dimension (we both known that usually these were very big...
very much larger than any possible kind a 16th century glass...!). As I wrote
in my previous message:  (...) A "portolan-type world map", in parchment (of
the regular kind produced by the Portuguese at that time, such as the
magnificent 1554 chart of Lopo Homem in Florence, or the famous 1559 chart of
André Homem in Paris), would also be a hypothesis, but for me that is much more
unlikely, since they are even bigger... (they are, in fact, enormous...!). And
parchment under glass... (...)

And you are also right when you say that "the Portuguese cartographers were
skilled in making manuscript nautical charts, not printed maps" (it's true,
and, moreover, these [manuscript portolan-charts], were indeed the kind of maps
that later were so spread by the Portuguese in Japan). The reason why I think
Ptolemaic type maps (smaller) to be more likely is exactly because of the
dimension (and also because of the intervention of Jesuits in all this matter).
If that gift was only from the Portuguese Vice-Roy (and not also the Jesuits!)
I would no doubt go for the portolan-chart type mapamundo, in parchment...
(but... a SMALL portolan-chart type mapamundo...!? how could that be...? that
would be very odd...!)

This one is not easy...

Best wishes

Alfredo Pinheiro Marques

A 2011/11/26, às 22:24, Joaquim Alves Gaspar escreveu:

> This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
> whole list)
> o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +
>
> Dear Vladimiro & all
>
> The expression "mapamundo em vidro grande" translates literally as
> "mappamundi in large glass". However its meaning is somehow ambiguous in
> Portuguese as it may also mean "a large mappamundi made of glass", "a large
> mappamundi in(side) glass" or "a mappamundi in a large glass". Having
> discarded the possibility of being a terrestrial globe or a map made of
> glass, we are left with same sort of frame or protective case with glass.
> For the reasons already explained, it is unlikely that a large sheet of
> glass was used. If it were a traditional Ptolemaic world map (a printed map)
> it was probably small. However it is not obvious for me that the word
> "mappamundi" refers to one of them, as I suspect that it might apply, at the
> time, to both the Ptolemaic world maps and the nautical planispheres. Also
> remember that the Portuguese cartographers were skilled in making manuscript
> nautical charts, not printed maps!
>
> Joaquim Gaspar

Alfredo Pinheiro Marques
                  * * * * * *
Centro de Estudos do Mar - CEMAR
************* *   * *
Rua Mestre Augusto Fragata, 8 - Buarcos
************* *            * *
3080-900 - FIGUEIRA DA FOZ - PORTUGAL                    ************* ****
e-mail: a...@cemar.pt - tel.: (351) 969070009
******************  *  ***                    * *
fax./tel.: (351) 233434450; tel.: (351) 913288274   * **  **
****************************** ** **  * *
アルフレッド・ピニェイロ・マルケシュ ( センター所長 )  海洋学センター
 DÉSIR
Visite a Bibliografia dos Descobrimentos -- Visit the Bibliography of the
Discoveries -- Visite la Bibliografia de los Descubrimientos:
http://www.uc.pt/bd.apm --- BD - International Bibliography of the Discoveries
and Overseas Encounters (ed. Alfredo P. Marques)
(será que esta base de dados bibliográfica ainda lá está, no endereço
http://www.uc.pt/bd.apm da Universidade de Coimbra...?)
(is it still there, at the University of Coimbra, at http://www.uc.pt/bd.apm,
this international bibliographical database...?)
(¿adonde está esta base de datos bibliográfica que estava en
http://www.uc.pt/bd.apm, en la Universidad de Coimbra...?)

Maphist mailing list
Maphist@geo.uu.nl