This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Please not that the Wikipedia page that is noted in this posting also said that
the crown glass sheet was cut into smaller panes. The point made here is that
as crown glass is very thin on the outer edge of the disk making it unstable
just where it would be in contact with a frame.
I have copied the Wiki entry for Crown Glass into this posting.

Crown glass was an early type of window glass. In this process, glass was blow
into a "crown" or hollow globe. This was then transferred from the blowpipe to
a pontil and then flattened by reheating and spinning out the bowl-shaped piece
of glass (bullion) into a flat disk by centrifugal force, up to 5 or 6 feet
(1.5 to 1.8 metres) in diameter. The glass was then cut to the size required.
The thinnest glass was in a band at the edge of the disk, with the glass
becoming thicker and more opaque toward the center.
Due to the distribution of the best glass, in order to fill large window spaces
many small diamond shapes would be cut from the edge of the disk and these
would be mounted into a lead lattice work and fitted in the window. Known as a
bullseye, the thicker center area around the pontil mark was used for less
expensive windows.
Crown glass was one of the two most common processes for making window glass
until the 19th century. The other was blown plate. The process was first
perfected by French glassmakers in the 1320s, notably around Rouen, and was a
trade secret. As a result, crown glass was not made in London until 1678.
Crown glass is one of many types of hand-blown glass. Other methods include:
broad sheet, blown plate, polished plate and cylinder blown sheet. These
methods of manufacture lasted at least until the end of the 19th century. The
early 20th century marks the move away from hand-blown to machine manufactured
glass such as rolled plate, machine drawn cylinder sheet, flat drawn sheet,
single and twin ground polished plate and float glass.

George