Dear Users

The question is about performance comparison between a stack of SQL statements
converted as workspace and a MapBasic program that does the same.

I had developed a spatial model based on queries (select and SQL) and several
intermediate steps like save copy as, rollback, commit table, etc.  The procedure was
developed to calculate a certain polygon value based on overlay information and buffer
intersections.  For one polygon the script has about 150 lines of instructions and if
I want to calculate on entire mapsheet, I have to replicate it by searching and
replacing the polygon ID. This way I can create a block of 1000 replicated
instructions, one set of 150 lines per poly ID, and save it as workspace file.  It
takes a bout 3 hours to process 1000 polygons and the database can be of any size but
are around 10,000 polygons.

What difference would make if I have MB and instead to batch processing, do it by MB
programming?  What difference does it make if the processing is a MB/SQL request or a
SQL batch? Does anybody have compared two similar processes?

Thanks in advance

Dyan C. Catamaran
GIS/RS Coordinator
Phero Tech Inc.