Marcus,

Yes it can be done.

It is just a case of defining a custom Affine projection to represent your non-earth
data.  Essentially this describes transformation
parameters to get from real earth coordinates to your local coordinate system.  Your
non-earth coordinate values will be the same, but
everything will now also plot in the correct position on the earths surface and can be
overlayed with real earth data.

What you need are the Affine parameters a,b,c,d,e,f for:
X' = Ax+By+C
Y' = Dx+Ey+F

or
X' = Cos(theta)*x+Sin(Theta)*y+c
Y' = -Sin(theta)*x+Cos(Theta)*y+f
where theta is the angle of the coordinate system, C is the offset in the x direction
and F the offset in the Y direction.

These can be used in a custom projection (in this case based on Australian Map Grid
50, datum AGD84):
"My Affine Projection", 3008, 13, 7, 117, 0, 0.9996, 500000, 10000000, 7, A, B, C, D,
E, F, Bounds Clause

Or with real numbers:
"My Affine Projection", 3008, 13, 7, 117, 0, 0.9996, 500000, 10000000, 7,
0.780100691704, 0.619057142912, -5308307.365,
-0.619057142912, 0.780100691704, -5516110.998, 0, 0, 500000, 500000

To help with the parameters my Affine calculator should be of use.  It is an ActiveX
component, so you will need to use MS Internet
Explorer and also set your security settings to low:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mose/prod03.html

Let me know if you need any further help.

Regards

Neil Moseley
Geodata Computing Services
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]