Listers,

I have a series of shapes (polygons, points - whatever). I would like to
update their 'id' by the position of their centroid within the world from
west to east.  Would be nice to have the option for north/south and so on.

This is primarily for labelling purposes and would give a nice finishing
touch to a map as it would make it very readable.

Also, can anyone tell me how to label sequentially in a thematic legend.
All I can get is 1,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,2,20 etc.

Would anyone like the challenge?

Thank you for your help.

Mark Percival