From: Cameron Crum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 4:49 PM
To: Bagwell, Ross; MapInfo-L
Subject: Re: MI-L DEMs - spaces and grids

A few weeks ago I responded to you and told you that we have software
available that does what
you are looking for, although it is not free or even very cheap. I think you
are now discovering why our
software which will take multiple SDTS files and put them together into 1
mid/mif file while taking
care to edge match and fix the USGS georefrenceing problems is not free. Any
software which does
this will most likely cost you. My offer still stands that if you only have
4 or so quads that you are
looking at, I will be happy to process them for you and send you the
mid/mif.

Or, if you still want to go the brut force method, you can run a query to
select all the records from
both tables where the elevation is not some really big number. This will
join the tables and sleect
all the records all at once.  You can then save this table and then create
your grid on it.
Be sure that you have saved teh DEM's as MI base tables first, otherwise the
query will
take a very long time to execute. Depending on where you are and how badly
the USGS screwed up
the quad you are in, you might stll get  some bogus values between the two
quads, but if you can
live with the error, this will be a cheap and slow solution.

Regards,

Cameron