Hi Neal,

My understanding is that the TFW et.al. defines an affine transformation on an (any)
implicit projection:

groundX = a0 + a1 * pixelX + a2 * pixelY
groundY = b0 + b1 * pixelX + b2 * pixelY

The TFW file stores these 6 parameters this way:

a1
b1
a2
b2
a0
b0

For an axis parallel image, b1 and a2 are 0, and a1 and a1 and b2 are pixel sizes in X
and Y resp.
(a0,b0) are the upper-left corner of image, which is why b2 is usually negative as
ground Y is normally defined to be positive
upwards.

It should be fairly easy to transform a TFW to TAB, just applying the above formula
appropriately.
The other direction is a bit more tricky since MapInfo handles more than 3 control
points.

Best regards/Med venlig hilsen
Lars V. Nielsen
GisPro, Denmark