Dear MARMAM list subscribers,

We are pleased to announce the publication of our new study in PLOS One.

Kind regards, Robert Boessenecker and Morgan Churchill

R.W. Boessenecker and M. Churchill. 2013. A reevaluation of the morphology,
paleoecology, and phylogenetic relationships of the enigmatic walrus
Pelagiarctos. PLoS One 8(1) e54311. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0054311.

Full text available at:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0054311

Abstract:

Background

A number of aberrant walruses (Odobenidae) have been described from the Neogene
of the North Pacific, including specialized suction-feeding and generalist
fish-eating taxa. At least one of these fossil walruses has been hypothesized
to have been a specialized predator of other marine mammals, the middle Miocene
walrus Pelagiarctos thomasi from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed of California
(16.1–14.5 Ma).

Methodology/Principal Findings

A new specimen of Pelagiarctos from the middle Miocene “Topanga” Formation of
southern California (17.5–15 Ma) allows a reassessment of the morphology and
feeding ecology of this extinct walrus. The mandibles of this new specimen are
robust with large canines, bulbous premolars with prominent paraconid,
metaconid, hypoconid cusps, crenulated lingual cingula with small talonid
basins, M2 present, double-rooted P3–M1, single-rooted P1 and M2, and a P2 with
a bilobate root. Because this specimen lacks a fused mandibular symphysis like
Pelagiarctos thomasi, it is instead referred to Pelagiarctos sp. This specimen
is more informative than the fragmentary holotype of Pelagiarctos thomasi,
permitting Pelagiarctos to be included within a phylogenetic analysis for the
first time. Analysis of a matrix composed of 90 cranial, dental, mandibular and
postcranial characters indicates that Pelagiarctos is an early diverging walrus
and sister to the late Miocene walrus Imagotaria downsi. We reevaluate the
evidence for a macropredatory lifestyle for Pelagiarctos, and we find no
evidence of specialization towards a macrophagous diet, suggesting that
Pelagiarctos was a generalist feeder with the ability to feed on large prey.

Conclusions/Significance

This new specimen of Pelagiarctos adds to the knowledge of this problematic
taxon. The phylogenetic analysis conclusively demonstrates that Pelagiarctos is
an early diverging walrus. Pelagiarctos does not show morphological
specializations associated with macrophagy, and was likely a generalist
predator, feeding on fish, invertebrates, and the occasional warm-blooded prey
item.