Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of the following
paper in Science of the Total Environment:

Kratofil MA, Ylitalo GM, Mahaffy SD, West KL, and Baird RW. 2020. Life history
and social structure as drivers of persistent organic pollutant levels and
stable isotopes in Hawaiian false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens). Science
of the Total Environment 733:138880.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.138880

ABSTRACT: False killer whales are long-lived, slow to mature, apex predators,
and therefore susceptible to bioaccumulation of persistent organic pollutants
(POPs). Hawaiian waters are home to three distinct populations: pelagic;
Northwestern Hawaiian Islands (NWHI) insular; and main Hawaiian Islands (MHI)
insular. Following a precipitous decline over recent decades, the MHI
population was listed as “endangered” under the Endangered Species Act in 2012.
This study assesses the risk of POP exposure to these populations by examining
pollutant concentrations and ratios from blubber samples (n = 56) related to
life history characteristics and MHI social clusters. Samples were analyzed for
PCBs, DDTs, PBDEs, and some organochlorine pesticides. Skin samples (n = 52)
were analyzed for stable isotopes δ13C and δ15N to gain insight into MHI false
killer whale foraging ecology. Pollutant levels were similar among populations,
although MHI whales had a significantly higher mean ratio of DDTs/PCBs than
NWHI whales. The ∑PCB concentrations of 28 MHI individuals (68%) sampled were
equal to or greater than suggested thresholds for deleterious health effects in
marine mammals. The highest POP values among our samples were found in four
stranded MHI animals. Eight of 24 MHI adult females have not been documented to
have given birth; whether they have yet to reproduce, are reproductive
senescent, or are experiencing reproductive dysfunction related to high POP
exposure is unknown. Juvenile/sub-adults had significantly higher
concentrations of certain contaminants than those measured in adults, and may
be at greater risk of negative health effects during development. Multivariate
analyses, POP ratios, and stable isotope ratios indicate varying risk of POP
exposure, foraging locations and potentially prey items among MHI social
clusters. Our findings provide invaluable insight into the ongoing risk POPs
pose to the MHI population’s viability, as well as consideration of risk for
the NWHI and pelagic stocks.

A link to the full article available from the publisher for the next 50 days:
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1b5bwB8ccoD%7E6<https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1b5bwB8ccoD~6>
For more information on our Hawai’i research see
https://www.cascadiaresearch.org/projects/hawaii
Best regards,

Michaela Kratofil
Research Biologist