Hello,

On behalf of my co-authors, Dr. Eric Archer, Dr. Patricia Rosel and Dr.
William Perrin, I am pleased to announce our more recent publication “*Tursiops
truncatus nuuanu*, a new subspecies of the common bottlenose dolphin from
the eastern tropical Pacific”, published in the Journal of Mammalian
Evolution.
This work is dedicated to our late co-author Dr. William Perrin, who
approved the submission of this work prior to his passing, but sadly passed
away before its acceptance and publication. Dr. Perrin conducted
instrumental research in the eastern tropical Pacific, highlighting the
killing of dolphin species in the tuna fishery, and played a crucial role
in the creation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972. He is also
considered the father of modern marine mammal taxonomy due to his
pioneering work with cetaceans.

Costa, A.P.B., Archer, F.I., Rosel, P.E., Perrin, W.F*.* (2022) *Tursiops
truncatus nuuanu*, a new subspecies of the common bottlenose dolphin from
the eastern tropical Pacific. *J Mammal Evol*.
https://doi.org/10.1007/s10914-022-09641-5

*Abstract*
In the eastern Pacific Oc*e*an, three distinct forms of common bottlenose
dolphin (*Tursiops truncatus*) have been identified, with suggestions they
may be different species: a southern California/Mexico coastal, a northern
temperate offshore, and an eastern tropical Pacific (ETP) offshore form.
Currently, only one species (*T. truncatus*) is recognized in the region,
with the first two forms described as distinct ecotypes. The goal of this
study was to improve our understanding of the taxonomic status of these
previously described forms through a re-examination of their morphological
differentiation. We analyzed 135 skulls from the eastern and western
Pacific, including the two nominal species, *T. gillii* and *T. nuuanu*,
previously described for the eastern North Pacific and ETP, respectively.
Additionally, we examined the holotypes of two currently recognized species
in the genus, *T. truncatus* and *T. aduncus*. Our results showed
significant morphological differentiation among bottlenose dolphins in the
Pacific Ocean. The ETP offshore bottlenose dolphins were smaller in skull
and body size and diagnostically distinct from dolphins in the western
North Pacific and other regions in the eastern Pacific. Our results also
indicated that, while other bottlenose dolphins in the Pacific were more
similar to the globally distributed *T. truncatus*, the ETP offshore
dolphins shared similarities with a previously described species in that
region. The distinct environmental conditions in the ETP may be driving the
evolutionary differentiation of these bottlenose dolphins. Given these
results, we here recommend the recognition of ETP offshore bottlenose
dolphins as a distinct subspecies, *Tursiops truncatus nuuanu*.

Best regards,
Ana