Greetings Colleagues,

My coauthors and I are excited to share our recent, open-access publication
in Marine Mammal Science on anesthesia in free-ranging Guadalupe fur
seals (*Arctocephalus
philippii townsendi*).

Our paper explores the effects of biometric and logistical factors (pursuit
and holding time, sex, age class, body weight, year, oxygen flow rate, and
total anesthesia time) on physiologic and anesthetic parameters (time to
induction, total oxygen use, heart rate, respiratory rate, time to
recovery, and anesthetic depth) in 175 isoflurane-anesthetized Guadalupe
fur seals in a field setting.

Citation: Barbosa, L., *Borremans, B.*, Deming, A.C., Gálvez, C., *Norris,
T.*, *Pattison, S.**, **Whoriskey, S.* and Elorriaga‐Verplancken, F.R.,
Inhalant anesthesia for minimally invasive procedures in free‐ranging
Guadalupe fur seals (*Arctocephalus philippii townsendi*). *Marine Mammal
Science**,* p.e13124. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13124
<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.13124>

Abstract: Free-ranging otariids are routinely captured for data and sample
collection. To achieve this, anesthesia may be used to facilitate handling,
decrease stress, and improve human and animal safety. Injectable
anesthetics are widely used for such endeavors; however, certain
disadvantages to this approach warrant further exploration of alternative
anesthetic techniques. Inhalant anesthesia, commonly utilized for otariids
in a clinical setting, is used more sparingly in the field, with few
studies assessing safety and efficacy in free-ranging otariids. During
2016–2020, 175 Guadalupe fur seals were net-captured and anesthetized with
isoflurane and oxygen on Guadalupe Island, Mexico, for satellite telemetry
attachment and biological sampling. To contribute to the body of knowledge
surrounding the use of inhalants in the field, physiologic and anesthetic
parameters (time to induction, total oxygen use, heart rate, respiratory
rate, time to recovery, and anesthetic depth) were assessed for effects of
biometric and logistical factors (pursuit and holding time, sex, age class,
body weight, year, oxygen flow rate, and total anesthesia time). This
anesthetic technique provided rapid induction and recovery times and rare
side effects in Guadalupe fur seals, serving as a practical means of field
immobilization for minimally invasive procedures in this imperiled species.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thank you,
Lorraine

*Lorraine Barbosa, DVM, MPVM, Dipl. ACVPM*

Senior Manager - Wildlife Operations

Oiled Wildlife Care Network

Wildlife Health Center

University of California, Davis