Greetings MARMAM,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recent, open-access, publication
in Marine Mammal Science:

Storlund, R. L., Rosen, D. A. S., & Trites, A. W. (2024). Pinnipeds with
proportionally wider aortic bulbs make longer dives. Marine Mammal Science,
e13145. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13145 <https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13145>

Abstract:
The enlarged size of the aortic bulb is thought to enhance the ability of
marine mammals to remain underwater for extended periods. However, a convincing
link between aortic bulb size and diving capacity has not been established.
Using new and existing data, we examined the relationships between body size,
maximum and routine dive duration, and aortic bulb size of pinnipeds.
Comparisons among 7 species of pinnipeds showed that the diameter of the aortic
bulb increases allometrically with body mass (aortic bulb diameter = 0.58 x
body mass^0.41). We also found a linear relationship between routine dive
duration and relative aortic bulb diameter (routine dive duration = 0.20 x
relative aortic bulb diameter – 3.30), but no apparent relationship with
maximum dive duration. Our results indicate that relative aortic bulb diameter
influences diving capacity, providing further evidence that the aortic bulb is
an adaptation to diving. Specifically, the relative diameter of the aortic bulb
partially determines how long pinnipeds can routinely remain underwater. This
has implications for the ability of different species of marine mammals to
adapt to projected environmental changes and effectively forage or evade
threats in altered habitats.

Please get in touch if you have any questions. You can reach me at
r.storl...@oceans.ubc.ca <mailto:r.storl...@oceans.ubc.ca>.

Cheers,
Rhea

Rhea Storlund MSc (she, her, hers)
PhD Candidate (Zoology)
Marine Mammal Research Unit |
Traditional xʷməθkʷəy̓əm Territory |
The University of British Columbia | Vancouver Campus