Hi everyone,

We are excited to offer the following workshop in Perth at SMM24 from 8:30 to
17:30 on Sunday November 10:

Stepping through a workflow of open-source tools for drone-based photogrammetry
of cetaceans, from collection to analysis
https://www.smmconference.org/workshops/#1718154438036-06ab7c55-1474

Over the past decade, the advancement of drones has revolutionized researchers’
ability to obtain important morphological measurements (e.g., body length, body
condition) on marine mammals, particularly cetaceans. In this workshop, we will
present a workflow of several open-source tools to assist with obtaining and
processing morphological measurements of cetaceans collected using drones. We
will provide an overview of drone-based photogrammetry and the different phases
of 1) Data collection (before takeoff and during flight), 2) Post-processing of
imagery (image selection, measuring, linking metadata with measurements, and
quantifying uncertainty), and 3) Morphometric analysis (incorporating
measurement uncertainty from different drones into analyses). Participants will
learn field techniques for enhancing accuracy in data collection, including how
to use LidarBoX, an open-source 3D printed LiDAR altimeter system that can be
easily installed and swapped between several commercial drones (e.g., DJI
Inspire, Mavic, Phantom). We will also work through examples on how to use a
suite of several open-source, user-friendly software, including 1) DeteX, for
automated detection of cetaceans in drone-based videos to capture snapshots, 2)
MorphoMetriX v2, a photogrammetry software for manual, customizable
measurements, 3) XtraX, for automated measurements of body length and body
condition, 4) CollatriX v2, to link important metadata with measurements and
automated calculation of different body condition metrics, and 4) Xcertainty,
an R package for quantifying and incorporating uncertainty based on a Bayesian
statistical model. Participants are welcomed to bring their own datasets or can
use ones provided. Our goal is for participants to leave this workshop with the
skillset to use these hardware and software tools to enhance the quality,
speed, and accuracy of obtaining important morphological measurements to
monitor cetacean populations. We also hope this workshop will build a global
network of drone users studying morphometry of cetaceans under similar
protocols to help facilitate new collaborations.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
KC Bierlich & Clara Bird

Center of Drone Excellence
(CODEX<https://mmi.oregonstate.edu/centers-excellence/codex>)
Marine Mammal Institute, Oregon State University

KC (Kevin) Bierlich, PhD, MEM
Assistant Professor Senior Research
Center of Drone Excellence
(CODEX<https://mmi.oregonstate.edu/centers-excellence/codex>)
Marine Mammal Institute,
Dept. of Fisheries, Wildlife, & Conservation Sciences,
Oregon State University
Pronouns: he, him, his
kevin.bierl...@oregonstate.edu<mailto:kevin.bierl...@oregonstate.edu>