Dear MARMAM,

We are excited to announce the 3rd Marine Mammal eDNA Workshop
<https://www.smmconference.org/workshops/#1647455659326-59b2adc5-38db> at
the 2024 SMM Biennial conference, which will be held as a full-day workshop
on Saturday, November 9.

The 3rd Marine Mammal eDNA workshop will bring together early-career and
established researchers interested in applying emerging techniques in
environmental DNA (eDNA) to marine mammal species. Environmental DNA
approaches to characterize organismal DNA from marine and freshwater have
shown promise for accelerating marine conservation, especially for cryptic,
rare, and logistically challenging species.

Following the success of the first two eDNA workshops held at SMM,
significant research effort has resulted in novel insight and growth of the
field over the last two years. Researchers will share methods developments
and lessons learned from recent eDNA work and explore priority areas for
further development in the next two years. Participants will then engage in
small-group discussion via breakout groups on relevant topics such as
experimental design and best practices for eDNA sampling in the field,
important considerations for eDNA sample processing, developing methods to
move toward quantitative metabarcoding and data analysis, and developing
methods for the use of eDNA beyond species detection – e.g. abundance
estimation or stock identification, and others based on a pre-survey of
participant interests. Throughout the workshop, we aim to broadly address
both the challenges and opportunities that eDNA affords for marine mammal
science.

*Note that we are currently researching options for a virtual component,
and will send a separate announcement if we are able to make this
available.*

We look forward to seeing you there!

Warm Regards,
Amy Van Cise, Kim Parsons, Julia Sunnarborg, Kristina Cammen, and Maggie
Hunter

<*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><  <*)))><
Amy M. Van Cise, Ph.D.
(she/her/hers)

Assistant Professor
Whale and Dolphin Ecology Lab <http://amyvancise.com>
University of Washington | School of Aquatic and Fisheries Sciences
1122 NE Boat St, Box 355020
Seattle, WA 98105
Office: SAFS 216B
206-221-6118

Need to meet with me? Let's find a time
<https://calendar.app.google/6S7FAok44L6n2TpF7>.

Where is Amy? [Spring 2024 edition]**
Monday: UW campus
Tuesday: UW campus
Wednesday: UW campus
Thursday: hiding (focus day)
Friday: UW campus

**This is not exact. If you can't find me, shoot me an email and I will get
back to you.

"My paper was one long gigantic blunder from beginning to end."
-Charles Darwin