Hi MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are excited to share with you our new publication in Animal
Behaviour.

Bird, C. N., Pirotta, E., New, L., Bierlich, K. C., Donnelly, M., Hildebrand,
L., Fernandez Ajó, A., & Torres, L. G. (2024). Growing into it: Evidence of an
ontogenetic shift in grey whale use of foraging tactics. Animal Behaviour, 214,
121–135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2024.06.004

Abstract:
Individual specialization may occur relative to diet, behaviour or spatial
distribution, potentially leading to differential resource and space use within
a population. While specializations have been documented across many animal
populations, the underlaying causes of individual specialization (e.g.
morphology, age or sex) are not always identified. Causes of specialization can
be especially challenging to uncover for large, long-lived marine animals. We
used a Bayesian multilevel, multinomial logistic regression model to study the
relationships between grey whale, Eschrichtius robustus, use of foraging
tactics and morphology (body length and condition), while accounting for
habitat characteristics and individual variation in tactic use. The model was
informed by a 7-year longitudinal data set of concurrent morphology and
foraging behaviour collected using drones. We found evidence of an ontogenetic
shift in the use of foraging tactics associated with body length (a proxy for
age). Individual specialization in behaviour was also associated with water
depth and habitat. After accounting for the effects of these covariates, there
was some residual individual level variation in the use of different foraging
tactics. Our findings demonstrate variation in resource and habitat use within
a baleen whale population at the individual level relative to body length and
habitat, suggesting that individual spatial distribution and access to prey may
vary by age class. Our results can be applied to investigate whether juveniles
and adults differ in their foraging success and resilience to stressors.

The article is open access and available here:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347224001556#abs0015

Please reach out with any questions.

Cheers,
Clara
(clara.b...@oregonstate.edu)

----
Clara Bird (she/her)
PhD Candidate
Geospatial Ecology of Marine Megafauna Lab
Marine Mammal Institute
Dept. of Fisheries, Wildlife, & Conservation Sciences
Oregon State University, Hatfield Marine Science Center