I believe that John Strachey cited Lawrence as an exemplar of the
"fascist unconscious", which I think is correct.

In any case, Eagleton's futile exercise reminds me of how CLR James'
ridiculed Sartre's conception of engaged literature in the late '40s /
early '50s. Inter alia, James wrote that he didn't care about what
political party an author belonged to; what mattered was the tacit
assumptions embodied in the work itself. Of course, he was opposed to
Popular Front historiography and Popular Front cultural criticism.