#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> >> On 11/22/14 9:31 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> >>
> >> The fact that former Mayor Bloomberg could join the climate march ought to
> >> generate some caution.
> >
> > [Louis Proyect wrote] I agree with Carrol. We need a communistic climate
> > change movement led
> > by fighting detachments of an aroused proletariat.

[Marvin Gandall wrote]
> Not to mention, on a more serious note, that not all capitalists
> outside the coal, gas and oil industries are wedded to fossil fuels and
> unconcerned about their disruptive and potentially catastrophic effects.
 > Bloomberg is a prominent spokesperson of this growing wing of the
> bourgeoisie. If solar and other alternative energy prices continue to fall
> in line with advanced technology and more widespread adoption and become
> more cost-effective and safer than environmentally destructive forms of
> energy, there's no reason to suppose today's capitalists would not do what
> previous generations of capitalists have done and move to superior forms of
> energy. It's not an inevitable development,  but neither can it be ruled
> out.

Carrol Cox's opposition to the environmental movement is completely wrong,
would doom the left to impotence, and would increase the danger of
environmental collapse. But it's also wrong to be complacent about the
bourgeois wing of the environmental movement. Yes, even today a section of
the bourgeoisie is concerned about the environment, and more will be in the
future. But establishment environmentalism has put forward futile marketplace
solutions. Indeed, it's measures aren't simply weak or inadequate, but some
of them have made things worse.

* There's the corn ethanol fiasco. This is an example of a section of the
bourgeoisie realizing it can make a profit from certain measures, and it has
been a fiasco.

* There was the promotion of biofuel from palm oil. This  has helped
accelerate the devastation of the rain forests.

* There is cap and trade, which was a fiasco in Europe under Kyoto.

* There is the carbon offset program, which isn't simply weak or ineffective,
but has done environmental harm in various ways.

* There is the promotion of nuclear power by various bourgeois
environmentalists.

* There is even the promotion of geo-engineering, which promises disasters of
its own. Why let global warming destroy the planet, when the bourgeoisie can
do it directly with geo-engineering?

* And so on...

One of the positive points of Naomi Klein's book was the chapter on "Big
Green", the large bourgeois environmental organizations. These organizations
even have financial deals with the fossil fuel companies. The more I see the
issue of bourgeois environmentalism avoided in this discussion, the more I
appreciate that Naomi Klein devotes some attention to it and is angry about
it.

Another useful exposure of bourgeois environmentalism is in the book "Green
gone wrong: Dispatches from the front lines of eco-capitalism" by Heather
Rogers. She shows, for example, concretely how various fair trade plans,
supposed to be ecologically friendly, don't help either the small peasant
producer or the environment.

Neither Klein nor Rogers have a clear plan on how to build an effective
section of the environmental movement consciously independent of Big Green.
But their books help show why this is needed. The left must not simply
participate in the environmental movement, but build up a working-class
section of the movement, which doesn't simply cheer the bourgeois
environmentalists on, but has a separate program for what measures need to be
taken in order to effectively fight the environmental crisis.

So far, even the more radical and militant section of the environmental
movement, a section which has carried out many excellent actions, generally
won't directly take on Big Green and has connections with the bourgeois
environmentalists through Al Gore or various foundations, etc. Even the
section that criticizes market measures in general, generally supports the
carbon tax as supposedly something else. This amounts, in practice, to a
tacit alliance with the market fundamentalism of the bourgeois
environmentalists. Such environmentalists as Timothy Flannery (who was a
Green Party activist at one time, but I don't know what has become of him)
worry about  planning being a "carbon dictatorship" (Flannery's term). The
major emphasis on setting the "carbon price" is an attempt to avoid the
"carbon dictatorship" through a price mechanism; it is a tacit alliance (and
sometimes an open and direct alliance) with bourgeois environmentalism; and
it means evading the need to fight neo-liberalism. (The one correct thing
about Shane Mage's comment was that he directly showed the market nature of
the carbon tax.)

Carrol Cox concludes from the need to oppose bourgeois environmentalism that
all environmentalism is bourgeois, and that we can and should ignore it. That
is a fatal error. In fact, Carrol Cox's abstention from the environmental
movement would turn it over to the hands of bourgeois environmentalism, and
thus maximize the chance of environmental catastrophe. The left should take
part in the the environmental movement, but it should develop a working-class
section of the environmental movement, working-class not just in composition
but in its opposition to the mistaken orientations of Big Green.

-- Joseph Green