It may have been another problem entirely.

I compiled ip masquerading into the kernel to speed things up. What I
didn't know is that that only compiles the basic masquerading stuff into
the kernel. There is no option to make ip_masq_ftp et alia part of the
kernel. Since (having assumed otherwise) I took the modprobe statements out
of my rc.local initialization script, they weren't loaded. Since figuring
out (with the help of another member of the list) that those modules and
the modprobe statments are necessary, I loaded the modules manually. I
think that may have solved the problem, but haven't yet tested it on a
monster file.