Dear All,

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Egmont Koblinger wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 07:14:41PM +0200, Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
>
>> BTW: anyone is working on UFT-8 support for ncurses(w) backend ?
>
> I don't think so, and I don't think it is worth it. Maintaining two backends
> IMHO just causes headaches while it doesn't make mc better. I still can't
> see why developers do not decide which one to use and drop the other one.
>
> With Unicode support maintaining the two will be much harder since AFAIK
> slang works with UTF-8 while ncurses uses UCS-4. Hence a completely
> different patch would be required for the two cases.

Why not to follow the way used in non-UTF mc,
and use curses-like calls (translated to ncurses calls or emulated by
slang calls in myslang.h)?

   I have made mc 4.6.1 with UTF patches compile and run when
   linked against ncrurses 5.4 by replacing
   SLsmg_write_nwchars by addnwstr.

Thus, it may be a good idea to use addnwstr as the wide character output
routine, addnwstr being a ncurses call or a wrapper around SLsmg_write_nwchars
  (along the lines addch is implemented now).

        Sincerely, Michail