Hi

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, wwp wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:09:55 +0100
> From: wwp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: mc@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: Find File results
>
> Hello Felix,
>

> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:18:33 -0500 Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I can't seem to find any option to list only one file per file in find
> > file results. The results seem to list multiple copies of files based
> > upon access times instead of unique files, which sometimes lists the
> > same file more than 20 times. Is there no option to do this?
>
> No, since it's design to show all occurrences (and their line number), but I
> second this, would be nice to also know what file simply match.

Just select Panelize after you have the first list.  That will give you a
panel with the files that have been found.

> But it would also be nice to be able to match filenames case UNsensitively
> (useful when you don't know exactly where what you're looking for is located).

Remember that you can customise the "eXternal panelize" command to do
almost anything you want.  Just try:

        External Panelize/Other Command
        slocate -i filenamestring
        Panelize

You can even pipe the output of "slocate -i filenamestring" to filter it, eg:

        slocate -i filenamestring | grep bin

or use slocate -r to use a regular expression for your search.

And by using "Add new" you can save a command for future use.

One of my favourites is to sort the sendmail mail queue and panelise the
output, keeping associated df and qf files together:

        ls -1 q* d* x* | sort -k1.3 -k1.1,1.2

Very handy for separating incomplete df files from the rest.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service