> Many times, I find it easier to launch mc and navigate to a directory
> to view a document (e.g., PDF in evince).

It's possible to navigate with `mc`, and then to close `mc` when you arrive,
after you've captured the <FileName> with the mouse; then do `xpdf
<MousedPaste>`
My current `mc` keeps the current-dir of where it closes. Previous versions
needed extra coding.

> Most of the time, I don't need mc any longer so I close it...
> This closes my document window, because it is a child of mc.

Which is a failure.

> I have to send mc to another XMonad workspace to move it out of the way,.
> and I usually forget it there.

If you opened xpdf from `mc`, why doesn't it show OVER `mc`?
The processes should 'stack'.

> I'm wondering if there's any way to set the parent of the child window
> to the root window (or init, or whatever would be appropriate) rather
> than mc, so I can close mc and continue working.

It's also bad to move `mc` to another work-space where it's 'detatched'
for it's child in-terms-of your attention, because you may accidently
close your `mc` and lose eg. your xpdf.

> As a test, I followed the same procedure using nautilus.  It worked as
> expected: Closing nautilus did not close the document window.  I'd like
> to do the same with mc, but I'm unsure how (and my google fu isn't good
> enough to find a guide telling me how to do it).  The extension file
> already opens the document viewer, and appends '&' to the command.

> And before I finished this email, I found nohup.  It does exactly what
> I want, allows me to kill mc without killing the children windows. Hope
> this helps someone else.  If there's a better way to do it, let me know.

Interesting. Could be usefull for other situations..