A common model is to control content in the Marketing/Communications
department, and then have IT responsible for implementing and maintaining
the site. This ensures that look and feel, content maintenance, and the
general "communications" of the website are overseen by the group that does
similar work for the rest of the website, but also points to the need to
have someone, probably in-house, who is adept at gathering requirements for
the overall tools needed to support the site, prioritizing, managing, and
then getting them implemented. Not everyone has one or both of those
departments.

In the case of a museum or archive, you also need, as you mentioned,
advocates to take responsibility for deciding what goes online and to work
with that IT person to figure out how, when, how to sustain, etc. In ya'lls
case, there is also the education component. Both the IT person and the
communications person will regularly work with both a graphics person, and
someone who understands interface. Although it is good to separate content
from code; or communications from infrastructure, some of these roles can
obviously be combined depending on the talents of the individuals involved,
budget, etc.

ari