We are a small university art gallery with a collection of
approximately 3500 objects and a few small archives. We show
approximately 6 exhibitions a year, half of which we produce, and half
are usually collaborations or traveling exhibitions. We travel 1 or 2
of our own exhibitions a year.  I am just wondering what other
institutions are using and how they are finding them. In particular we
want something that can handle both our collection and archives and at
ideally have some rudimentary search capabilities between them.

We have a small IT department (me, and not my full time duties) and a
network of approximately 10 computers and a Windows 2003 Server which
we mostly use for file sharing. Ideally the software would have
component/module that would allow us to upload a version to the web as
one of the major criteria for this project is to get our collection
and archives online.

I have a fairly good budget for this, but I am finding that some of
the software that I have been looking at is a little over kill for the
size and scope of what we do. Any thoughts, advice or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.