[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Simon was explaining to Luca,
>
> |       I've never seen one, but the case may have a different hole pattern
> | to recordable blanks, and the disc itself is marked with a code to indicate
> | it is pre-rec.
>
> Yes, the case is different as well, missing the second hole next to the
> write-protect sensing hole on the bottom of the case (neither hole is present
> in a prerec), letting the player know to adjust laser power for a prerec.
>
> Additionally there are codes on the disc, but the unit has to adjust for
> reading a prerec in order to read those codes.

Add to this a shutter that doesn't open at the top. Ie, a blank minidisc has a
shutter that opens at the top and the bottem, the pre-recorded has a shutter
that only opens at the bottem.

The MiniDisc specifications defines a disc with a pre-recorded and a recordable
area. Ie a disc with a fixed recording and a recordable area.

Cheers,
Ralph -> who's never seen such a combined disc.
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE