"E.H.Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I know that this is probably an old thread, or at least one that has
>been asked repeatedly, but can anyone recommend a good set of
>headphones for use with a portable MD unit? The ones I have with my
>Sharp MD-MT821 are ok, but they iritate my ears after a while. Any
>suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

>From what I've seen, HeadRoom has assembled the best collection of
headphone models at all price ranges (US $30 - $700). They also have
great descriptions of each model:

<http://headroom.headphone.com/ProductsHeadphones/HeadphoneList.asp>

>From my own personal experience, if you're looking for a small,
lightweight pair of 'phones, I'd go with the Koss Porta Pro Jr. or KSC
35. They are the same exact headphones except that one has a headband
while the others clip over each ear. I have the latter, and love them.

<http://headroom.headphone.com/ProductsHeadphones/Kossportaprojr.asp>
<http://headroom.headphone.com/ProductsHeadphones/KossKSC35.asp>

If you want to spend a bit more, the Grado SR60's (US $70) are IMHO the
best sub-$100 headphones out there, although they can get uncomfortable
after long periods of listening. Grado just released a new model, the
SR40 (US $40), which is supposed to be a more lightweight "portable" set
of headphones.

<http://headroom.headphone.com/ProductsHeadphones/GradoSR60.asp>
<http://headroom.headphone.com/ProductsHeadphones/Grado%20SR40.asp>

When you're looking at headphones, keep in mind that the headphone jacks
on MiniDisc and CD portables (and even on most "components") are usually
underpowered (for reasons of battery life and cost). So you need
efficient headphones that don't require much power. The ones listed above
aren't the tops of their respective lines, by any means, but they are the
ones that are most suited for portable use. If you want to spend $500 for
an amazing set of headphones, you can, but you won't be able to use them
on your MD portable. In fact many of the "studio" phones from Sony, AKG,
etc. that sell for $100 or so will sound awful compared to the $30 Koss
because they aren't made for portable use.

Hope this helps. By the way, I have no connection to HeadRoom. I've
purchased a few things from them and have been very satisfied, but more
than anything, these people just really know their headphones.