> > > Cost of storage of 74 mins on HD : 1.18 UKP
> > > Cost of storage of 74 mins on MD : 1.10 UKP
> > > (there was a place selling Hi-Space, no voucher scheme for 1.10 ea)
>
> Simon.  That sounds a really good price.  Could you give the contact =
> details for the shop please.

It was a post to the MD-L on the 15th July this year - Transco is the
company..

<<--
MD74 : MINIDISC 74 MINUTES
Hi-SPACE MD-74                  1.10    (1.05)
Available in Red, Blue, Green, Yellow & Clear.
-->>

The bracketed price is for 50 or more.

Their details:

<<--
Transco Group plc
7 Soho Square
London
W1V 5DD

Tel: 0171 544 5400
Fax: 0171 544 5544

Visit our Shop in London W1
Media Store @ Transco
2 Dean Street
London
W1V 5RN

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.transco.co.uk
-->>

I can forward the full mail with prices for everything if you need it.

> I take it you're not actually playing back MP3's from an MD?  Do I =
> understand that you're calculating the equivalent space required to =
> store a certain duration of music on MD (in ATRAC compression - which =
> would you agree is superior quality to MP3 @ 160kb/s?) compared to the =
> computer disk space required to store the same music at 160kb/s MP3 =
> compression?

It's based on recording the MP3 to a MD as audio (either analogue or
digitally - I don't have a digital output soundcard yet). 160kbs is fine to
my ears, still not as good as ATRAC compression but more than good enough. I
chose 160kbps for ripping all my CDs for uni - my plan is to take 15 cdrs or
so of MP3s, along with a portable MD recorder and fit a digital output
soundcard to my PC. Thus I can just make up compilations from my MP3s as I
go and save myself the space of a full separates system and 200+ cds.

Only problem is that I could do with a small amp - anyone got any ideas on
that front? Standard 430mm separates are too big really.

> Looking at it another way, AFAIK the actual data storage capacity of an =
> MD is ~170Mb.  Comparing this to your figures, theoretically it would be =
> possible to store nearly twice the standard 74min of music on an MD at a =
> "160 kb/s" quality - much more at lower qualities. =20

Theoretically yes, but MD data is dead in the water anyway - plus it'd need
the fairly powerful hardware needed to do realtime MP3 decoding.

Simon