On 30 Jul 99, at 19:53, Simon Gardner wrote:

> Does anyone ever actually use AVLS?

Yes.

>  I've not ever seen the need or the
> point of having a system that limits the volume - I can just about manage
> that myself with the volume control, thankyaverymuch :)

Your perception of volume levels is subjective and is dependant on
the level of ambient noise and the amount of acclimation (what seems
to be a perfectly acceptable level now might have seemed a bit loud
20 minutes ago when you started  listening); AVLS, however, is not
affected by these factors and might just prevent you from damaging
your hearing by playing music that you don't realize is too loud.

In the immortal words of Pete Townsend, ". . .WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?. . .
. . ."