Greetings,

What gets me is why Sony don't use an equivalent of the dual purpose line-in
(auto selection of analog / digital in) in the line-out.  That way, the
optical line-
out LED would only be fired up when the unit thinks "ah-hah, I have an
optical
minijack plug in my line-out socket -> I'll light my optical-out LED..." or
something
like that anyway.

> Besides if battery drain was the problem, they could have a switch which
said
> "Digital-Analog".  By switching to analog you would turn the LCD off.

I still think autodetection would be better, but why would you want to turn
the
LCD off.  I like to know which track is playing etc and the LCD takes
negligible
power.

Please don't reply to that paragraph, I know he meant LED and I just felt
the
need to post something a little silly.  Anyway there's two good reasons for
not
including optical-out on porties--

1. They can be made cheaper without it
2. People who find they want digital-out from MD then buy a home deck too.

And having got your homedeck, since I don't live in the USA so don't fear
the
FBI-- go and get a SCMS stripper everyone and swap your music with all
your friends ;-)

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "I do not condone any sort of copyright infringement.  Must go,
someone at the door.  Bugger-- it's the fraud squad :-P"