Clay wrote,

| I don't know what happens to the SCMS bits when a CD is converted into .wav
| format ...

My impression is that .wav doesn't support SCMS, so information on the SCMS
status of the input is simply lost.  If you later copy the audio in a .wav
file to MD, CD, or DAT, the software for converting from .wav to that format
has to figure out how to set the SCMS bits.  [Polite corrections will be ap-
preciated.]

| But
| that wasn't really the point, anyway.  I was just getting a big laugh out of
| the fact that V2 answered the protest of copy-prohibited CDs by sending out,
| as a gift...a copy-prohibited CD.

Well, they aren't going to give away copies from the new SCMS-penultimate
printing that they can still sell, are they?  They're going to give away the
SCMS-final copies that they have to withdraw from the market.  As Cole Porter
put it, "Never give anything away that you can sell."